4001 A.D.: War Mother #1 is one of four tie-ins to Valiant's crossover event 4001 A.D.. It is a self-contained story focusing on Ana, the War Mother, and her sentient sniper rifle Flaco going on a scavenger hunt on Earth in the 41st Century of the Valiant Universe.
Witness the battle-scarred debut of Valiant’s top-secret new hero! As the war for 4001 A.D. rages, the coming of War Mother starts now in all-new standalone adventure torn from the pages of the summer’s biggest comics event!
In the 41st century, much of the planet has been reduced to a barren wasteland. New Japan orbits the Earth as a floating oasis that towers over the ashes of the old world. The survivors of this desolate new age, robbed of the planet’s once-lush natural resources, must endure great hardships to survive. Amidst the devastation, one outpost of scientific knowledge has thrived by adhering to a strict code of isolation. But even the denizens of this walled city must venture out into the wasteland to gather supplies from the remnants of what was. This task is designated to one and one alone: War Mother.
But all is not peaceful, even in New Japan. When the space-faring empire begins jettisoning city-sized sectors to Earth during the onset of a civil war, War Mother is called upon with a new mission: mega-salvage! Armed with a newly born sentient sniper rifle, War Mother is a one-woman army bent on sacking the crash-landed sector’s technology-laden debris for anything of value to her tribe. But, as calm turns to chaos, Sector 8146 will reveal a telling secret about Earth’s true order that will collide War Mother against her community, her code, and her calling…and bring destruction down upon one of humanity’s last surviving outposts of order.
Out of the ashes of the summer’s most ambitious crossover event, New York Times best-selling writer Fred Van Lente (GENERATION ZERO) and spectacular rising star Tomas Giorello (Conan) introduce the Valiant Universe to the boldest new hero of this century or the next when War Mother makes her history-shattering debut!
A Girl and Her GunEdit
- War Mother / Ana (First appearance)
- Flaco (First appearance)
- Eaters-of-Meat (First appearance)
- Proteans (First appearance)
- Sylvan (Leader of the Grove) (Dies) (First appearance)
- Trogs (First appearance)
- Abandoned child from New Japan (First appearance)
- Ana's family
- Caller (First appearance)
- Greenlings (First appearance)
- Sky-Gazer (First appearance)
- 41st Century
- Robotic Manga Doll
Salvage from the ejected pieces of New Japan lands in The Breath of Jade, causing Sylvan to call War Mother. As she leaves The Grove to scavenge the wreck, Ana takes Flaco, a sentient sniper rifle, to be her companion.
As she approached the wreckage, Ana asks Flaco to scan for enemies. Flaco and Ana quickly dispense of the enemies before she enters the wreckage.
While she is scavenging the wreckage, War Mother rescues a child from a group of trogs. Ana has trouble bringing the child back into the Grove.
Sylvan confronts Ana, stating how everything that she has is given to her. When Sylvan attempts to shoot Ana, Flaco changes the course of the bullet so that it kills Sylvan.
Ana returns to the Grove with the child and is welcomed back with open arms.
- War Mother would be the only brand new character to be featured in one of the four 4001 A.D. one-shots. At first, the series and character were advertised as "4001 A.D.: [Classified]" before Valiant revealed the name to be "4001 A.D.: War Mother". The character is based on one of the unnamed female characters who can be seen in a double-page spread in Book of Death #1 which, technically, is War Mother's first appearance.
- Come with me if you don't want to get eaten. ... Really? I have to say that twice?
- -- War Mother
- Critical hit!
- -- Flaco
Textless Cover ArtEdit
(by Tomas Giorello)
This article has no related content listed.
This section is for footnotes and citations.
There are currently no external links listed for this article.