The series takes place in the 41st Century. Rai is the spirit guardian of Japan (ruled by Grandmother), a mantle that is passed down father-to-son through generations. There have been many Rais, so the series has gone through multiple protagonists, see list below.
In the Valiant Comics universe it has also been revealed that Rai is a futuristic version of Bloodshot designed to look alike, "hoping to invoke the spirit of his heroic exploits in the people." This is not the case in Valiant Entertainment's rebooted universe where all Rais are semi-artificial creations of Father, the leader of New Japan (instead of Grandmother).
Character in Comic Books
Featured characters are listed in bold.
- Valiant Comics Era (1991-1996)
- Shiro Yagami (Valiant Comics) (1st Rai)
- Sho Sugino (Valiant Comics) (2nd Rai)
- Nakadai-san (Valiant Comics) (3rd Rai)
- Shinobi Nakadai (Valiant Comics) (29th Rai)
- Rentaro Nakadai (Valiant Comics) (41st Rai)
- Tohru Nakadai (Valiant Comics) (42nd Rai)
- Takao Konishi (Valiant Comics) (43rd Rai)
- Obadiah Konishi (Valiant Comics) (44th Rai)
- Valiant Entertainment Era (2012-present)
- Rai I / Raijin / Osamu (Valiant Entertainment)
- Rai II (Valiant Entertainment)
- Rai III (Valiant Entertainment)
- Rai IV (Valiant Entertainment)
- Aboto (Valiant Entertainment) (Rai V or VI)
- Sai (Valiant Entertainment) (Rai VI or VII)
- Rai VIII (Valiant Entertainment)
- Rai IX (Valiant Entertainment)
- Rai X (Valiant Entertainment)
- Rai XI (Valiant Entertainment)
Character in Other Media
- Rai (Volume 1) #1-4 · (October, 1991 - January, 1992) (published in Magnus, Robot Fighter #5-8)
- Rai (Volume 2) #1-8, 0, 24-33 · (March, 1992 - June, 1995)
- Rai (Volume 3) #1-16 · (May, 2014 - August, 2016)
- Fallen World (Volume 1) #1-5 · (May, 2019 - September, 2019)
- Rai (Volume 4) · (November, 2019)
- Break Free (Theme from Rai) (music single): A music single by A Sound of Thunder, from the album Parallel Eternity. It is notable for the writer of Rai (Volume 4), Dan Abnett, contributing to the lyrics.
This section is for footnotes and citations.